Here is our semi-regular blog post highlighting happenings in the global education community! If you would like your news highlighted here, make sure to post in our main community’s discussion forum, and we will include it next month. Past blog posts can be found here.
For those of you new to our work, Steve Hargadon and I are the co-founders of the Global Education Conference Network, a professional learning community designed to connect educators and organizations around the world. Our umbrella organization is Global Education Events, and we host several other annual in-person and virtual events. We are part of a partnership with TakingITGlobal.
Upcoming GEC Events
The spring Global Education Fair
Our second ONLINE AND FREE Global Education Fair is taking place this week. Here's how to participate:
- Register here.
- Our website is located here.
- Follow us on Twitter and catch announcements via the #globaled18 hashtag.
- Browse the exhibitor information that will be available in our virtual exhibit hall on Monday, April 30th.
- Email organizations, follow them on social media, and/or decide which organizations you would like to meet at our live drop-in sessions on Friday, May 4th from 2-5 p.m. EST (GMT-5).
- On Friday, May 4th, live links will be available on our site for you to enter chat rooms to meet people from the exhibiting organizations. Drop in any time between 2-5 p.m. EST (GMT-5) to ask questions and to receive more information about their programs and resources for students and educators.
- Following the GEF, exhibitors will follow up with participants via email.
Our exhibitors are excited to meet and connect with you, so please don't be shy! Take advantage of this opportunity to meet them in our chat rooms on Friday, May 4th.
7th Annual Global Education Day at the International Society for Technology in Education Conference (ISTE)
We are hosting our annual meetup at the ISTE 2018 in Chicago, Illinois on June 24! Our registration procedure has changed this year; please register on ISTE's site. This means that you need to pay for the ISTE conference; our event is not an additional cost. Currently, Global Education Day is at capacity and a waiting list is in place. ISTE will notify those on the wait list as spaces become available.
Our three-hour event will take place from 2-5 PM CST (GMT-6) and will be streamed live on our Facebook page. Resources from this event will be available to the public as well. This link will be provided to our Global Education Conference Network community close to the date of the event.
Mark your calendars for our next set of online events!
- September 17-21, 2018 - Global Collaboration Week (not just a single day!)
- November 12-15, 2018 - The 9th Annual Global Education Conference
Celebrations & Events
Here are a few dates that we've noticed. Note that some have a US focus. Let us know about other dates that should be included in this list.
- Children's Book Week - April 30 - May 4
- Global Day of Design - May 4
- Asian/Pacific Heritage Month
- Teacher Appreciation Day - May 1
- Going Global 2018 - May 2 - 4 - Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Teacher Appreciation Week - May 7 - May 11
- International Day of Families - May 15
- National Chinese Language Conference 2018 - May 17 - 19 - Salt Lake City, UT
- Global Accessibility Awareness Day - May 17
- NAFSA Annual Conference and Expo - May 27 - June 1 - Philadelphia, PA
- International Children's Day - June 1
- iEARN International Conference and Youth Summit - July 8 - 14 - Winchester, VA
Projects & Opportunities
- Design Squad Global Clubs - register by May 1
- Digital Promise Launches Student Immersive Video Project with UN and Oculus
- Global Education Innovation 2018 Award - applications due June 8 (for European initiatives)
- Global Schools Network to Launch
- Hero Fest Contests - due May 1
- How Travelers Can Help Hurricane-Damaged Islands
- iEARN International Conference and Youth Summit Call for Proposals - due May 1
- ISTE Global PLN Scavenger Hunt
- Lead with Languages Scholarship - due May 11
- Mercy High School International Student Tech Team Hub
- Mystery Skype Selfie Challenge - May 1 through May 31
- The Innovation Project
- Mix It Up Lunch Day
- National Geographic’s “Open Explorer” Lets Anyone Create Their Own Expedition
- Virtual Exchange Opportunity with Washington, D.C. Schools
- World Class: How Global Thinking Can Improve Your School (geared towards educators in the UK)
Worth a Look
- K-12 Study Abroad Linked with Improved Learning Outcomes
- Dana Mortenson of World Savvy on PBS News Hour
- EDUpreneurs Wanted
- Faces of the World
- Global Scholar Students to Present Talks on International Projects
- Polar Bears of Hudson Bay
- The Prom-Like Intensity of High School Folklorico
- The Tech Issue | Global Learning Newsletter
- What Service-Learning and Global Goals Taught Us About Promoting the Greater Good
- Why Global Education Matters
Do you have an event or resource to share? Post it to the discussion forum in the Global Education Conference Network and we'll share it next month.